Wednesday, February 09, 2005

What's This All About?

So I got on this little bloggie and realized how much it reminded me of old RPG games. Talking to my good cousin Joe also brought up some thoughts on old nostalgic type things. I have a feeling the main point of a lot of my posts is going to involve my memories of videogames, comics, and all sorts of geeky stuff. Something that's been going through my mind a lot lately is how much those old things have really affected me now. You see, I'm a firm believer that there is so much more to simple things like comics and videogames than just entertainment value.

Comics especially have so much put into them. Of course they bring about all kinds of fantasies and dreams...but there's a lot of content applicable to our actual lives, too. This has really taken off since comic writers began injecting a little humanity into the characters (of course, the old goody-goody stuff had a lot of admirable traits, too). I mean, take a look at Superman...he helps people day in and day out, never expecting any sort of payment. Definitely a trait we'd all like to possess. And then we have the good ol' Green Lantern. Hal Jordan was considered one of the best Lanterns of all time, and then he snapped...he killed off a lot of the other Green Lanterns and took out the Guardians of the Universe. He just snapped. He's since realized he made a mistake and finds himself a loner as most are uneasy and undecided on the extent of Hal's guilt.

Of course, The Bat-Man (man, I love the old title...) symbolizes the obsession and frustration we feel when trying to combat things over which we have no real control. Bats is smart enough to know he can't obliterate crime, and he's seen things that most people can't even DREAM of...and yet he still carries on, dispensing justice. He's very black and white when it comes to what's right and wrong, and though it would make things so much easier if we could see situations that way, it kind of scares us. Fear - the main weapon of Batman.

Son of a biscuit, I rambled on...ah well, this blog should represent my mind, right? My thoughts are nebulous, and if I ramble I'm sure to get some good things out. Hoo boy, what's next? I'm gonna have to say videogames...oh yeah...and none of this fancy-shmancy Halo stuff. Heck, I might even go back before these so-called "superior" systems.

Next stop: Remember When 16-Bit Was Enough?