Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Where's the Ether?

I love video games. I really do. But games today tend to alarm me, and there's one simple reason for it - a lack of magic. By magic I mean an addictive quality that just made me want to play the snot out of a game. Super Mario Brothers 3 had it...Kirby's Adventure had it...heck, a ton of games had it. Once again, I'm probably just a bitter old man, but Halo 2 was fun the first time through. And then, it was fun again when I played multiplayer with people who didn't take the game so seriously. Online gameplay just didn't satisfy me. The only fun I've had with online gaming is playing Battlefront online with people I know. Oh, and Maple Story...of course that's online-only and I tried to avoid the serious Maplers.

Gamers are so "hardk0r3 t0 t3h maxx0rz" today. I'm glad that video games are getting more support from the mainstream nowadays, but every time I see a Spike TV commercial for it's "awards" program, I throw up just an itty bit. Oh, and a kitten dies. And my soul fades a bit. I sometimes fear that game developers sacrifice imaginative input for sparkly graphics.

This was going to go somewhere, but I lost my train of thought. Sorry about that. But you people should IM me and talk about this. It'd be a good conversation.

This post was boring. I promise a nicer one....later.

2 comments:

Joey said...

I'm with you 100% on this. I'm feel the same way about Halo 2 especially. People take 'em too seriously.

Anonymous said...

Man you should hear some of the people on my floor when they are playing Halo 2 everyday. All they do is scream. Its crazy.