Friday, February 10, 2006

Because Joey suggested it...

Alright, welcome to the Kingdom of Fuman! Following in the suggestion of Sir Joseph , I will try out this "First 10 Friday" thing. Remember, these are the FIRST 10 songs that played on a shuffled iPod playlist (which has been slightly modified to remove certain songs). These are by no means the best or even my favorite songs. In fact, I hadn't even heard 1 song on the list. Well, here goes!

1)Prince Ali - Alan Menken, Tim Rice, Howard Ashman & Robin Williams
Ahhh...remember the good ol' days when Disney was GOOD? Not a lot to say about this one, really.

2)Time Stand Still - Rush
This was the first time I intently listened to this. I had always liked the sound, but upon really listening to the lyrics, I realized this is a pretty good song. Seems to be about wanting to just slow down time a bit. Time seems to just slip away. Great song with back-up vocals by Aimee Mann.

3)Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
It's nice to have some classical mixed in there. Even if you don't recognize the title, you probably recognize the piece itself. Reminds me of Mayfest back in high school.

4)Moondance - Michael Bublé
I don't know...I gathered some of his songs because I liked the sound of his voice, so this was the first time I had listened to it. This song is okay, but I wasn't really in the mood for it. Might be good, but this may be coming off of the ol' playlist.

5)September Song - John Pizzarelli
Whoa! Two smooth, jazzy songs in a row. Pizzarelli has a very good voice and it matches the very slow, calming September Song well. I'm not sure who originally did it (SecondHand Songs claims it's Walter Huston).

6)In the Big Rock Candy Mountains - Harry McLintock
O Brother, Where Art Thou? is an EXCELLENT movie! If you've not yet had the opportunity to see this, get out and see it. A nice southern-based story loosely based on the Odyssey by Homer. Oh yeah, the song. It's got hobos and a magical land of paradise. What else do you need?

7)Dog Years - Rush
Yay for Rush! Odd that the 2 Rush songs on the Friday 10 list seem to both be about how quickly time passes. The lyrics, though they get the point across, seem a bit quirky if you really think about them. It's nice to deliver a good message with a slight bit of weird mixed in.

8)Mars, the Bringer of War - Gustav Holst
I admit, I didn't listen to this in its entirety. Dark and ominous, just like a bringer of war SHOULD be. If you've played Super Mario Brothers 3 for NES (and I know you have) compare the airship fortress music with this track. Cool, eh?

9)Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - William Shatner
No, not the Beatles version. Many claim this to be a drug reference (LSD) and Shatner's interpretation of this classic seems to just enforce it. He's a good guy, but he needs to stay away from covers! Unless he has Ben Folds watching over him, in which case he should produce more amazing covers like Common People.

10)Mad World - Gary Jules
From the Donnie Darko soundtrack, Gary Jules' version is a lot darker and more haunting than the original Tears for Fears version. A bit of a downer song, but accurately reflects what runs through many many peoples' minds every day.

That's it for the first installment of the First 10 Friday list. Hope you enjoyed it. I know I liked writing them.

1 comment:

Joey said...

Rush is a good band. And Captain Kirk is good people.