Friday, February 24, 2006

Okay 3, 2, 1, Let's Jam!

What an odd day in the land of Fuman's First 10. I fear few of the songs on the list today will be too familiar, but that's just all the more reason for you to go and check them out. Right?

1) Rock Lobster - B-52's
I'm not joking. This is on the list. Incredibly hokey, and yet it's just a fun song. I suppose anyway...Fred Schneider has quite the interesting vocal style. But you all know that.

2) Spokey Dokey - Tsuneo Imahori, Ryuichiro Senoo, and Keishi Urata
Enter the first of the unknown songs. Actually if you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, then this song may be familiar. It's a nice, ambling tune comprised of a harmonica, a guitar, and synthesizers. Odd combination, but then so is Cowboy Bebop. Relaxing with an Old West twang.

3) Scotland the Brave - ??? (but possibly performed by the British Colombia Dragoons)
Apparently the lyrics were by a Scottish journalist by the name of Cliff Hanley. This, however is the marching pipe version. No lyrics. You've all heard it, I'm sure. It's the unofficial national anthem for Scotland. I enjoy the bagpipes immensely...

4) So Happy Together - The Turtles
Once again, a song that everybody's heard of. Nice and sweet. Not much more to it than that.

5) Some Fantastic - Barenaked Ladies
The Barenaked Ladies have many different sides to them. First, there is the front side. And then the backside. From there, we have the inside. In their songs, however, these sides include depressing/suicidal songs, slightly smartass songs, and wacky songs. Of course, the love side often fits in any of these other styles. This particular song is a wacky love song. It's all about going to crazy extremes to be able to get with somebody.

One day I will work with animals
All the tests I'm gonna do
All my stuff's completely natural
And when we're done we'll boil 'em
down for glue
that we can use to re-adhere
your lips to mine if you were here

See? Crazy AND sweet at the same time. Good ol' BNL.

6) Testing 1,2,3 - Barenaked Ladies
Some guys would pay a lot of money for two Barenaked Ladies in a row. ZING! Oh, goodness. This song is certainly less active than the last one. This seems sort of ambiguous to me, but I think it's about skewed perspectives on past dealings. Perhaps that drove a little wedge in a relationship.

7) Pot City - Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts
Another Cowboy Bebop tune. No lyrics, just a slow jazzy piece that reflects the title quite well. Pot City is dreary and gritty, much like most of the Cowboy Bebop universe.

8) Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group
Ah, 1960's music. No deep meanings here. Just give the man some lovin'! If you happen to be a fan of this type of song (or 60's rock in general), check out the band known as Peace Train. I've only heard them once, though they are based in Central Indiana. If you get the chance to hear them, do it! They're very talented in what they do (which is cover all sorts of 60's songs).

9) Everyday Glory - Rush
I must have been distracted while listening to this. Not good, as it was my first time to listen to it. I can't really give it an adequate review at this moment.

10) Is It Real? - Scott Matthew
Ahh...3 Cowboy Bebop tunes in one Friday. Odd that I happen to be wearing my Cowboy Bebop t-shirt today. Connection? COULD BE! This song is quite depressing...it seems to be about somebody feeling incredibly detached from the world. He feels that it all seems made up, and there's no point in really living on in a dream world. Low, somewhat husky vocals match the feel of the song.

That's it for now! I feel a little out of it. This week has shot by, and my brain is still catching up. Ah, and before I forget. GameFAQs has been doing a Top 10 list for various video game topics for a while now in celebration of their 10th anniversary (has it really been THAT long? Jeez...). Today's particular list (http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/16.html) is a good one. I suggest you video game players check it out. Though I can't agree with many of the Top 10 lists that are put up, this one was pretty agreeable. Now, I'm really done. Have a good weekend, everybody.

See You Space Cowboy...

1 comment:

Joey said...

But it wasn't a rock.......It was a ROCK LOBSTER!