Friday, April 07, 2006

First...2...Friday?

It went like this: I wake up, shower, and proceed to speech. What plays on the iPod on my jaunt? Nothing too exciting. In fact I already forget. See how great the random list was today? SO, I tried it again. I decided I'd give the random shuffle another shot on the way back from speech. Once again, nothing too exciting...SO, I gave up and just listened to what I wanted to listen to. And in doing so, I killed the First 10 Friday for today. BUT, don't fear...for I'm trying something daring and new today. Album reviews! Well, more like album comments. Yaaay...so, here you go. 2 albums: a commercial one and a free one (coincidentally a video game remix one).

The one you have to buy:
















Music from Scrubs. I looked at my various albums on iTunes, saw this, and said...eh, what the heck? It's an interesting mix of music, most of which is pretty enjoyable. Of course, the show's opener, Superman by Lazlo Blane, is present as is a tacked on instrumental credits closer. It's an excellent song and fits the show perfectly. Colin Hay, Shawn Mullins (remember him? "Lullaby"?), and John Cale are also on the list. Many of the songs have a regular guy loserism about them which is juuuust peachy. The only track I'm not fond of in his collection is "Hooch "by Everything. Gah, do not like that song much at all. My personal favorites from the CD are "Overkill" (acoustic) by Colin Hay, "New Slang" by the Shins, "Superman" by Lazlo Blane, and "Dracula from Houston" by the Butthole Surfers. This is definitely worth the purchase (if you can find it). Of course, you could always pick out the best tracks and purchase them on iTunes.

And now, the free album:












Okay, I cropped that image from the homepage banner of joecam.net. Hope no lawsuits ensue...this is an EXCELLENT collaboration of remixers. Dhsu, Mustin and the OneUps, virt, and Dale North are just a few of the names connected to this 31-track project. For those that enjoy quirky music or may be interested in entering the world of video game remixes this is the place to start. Of course, Earthbound fans are "bound" (heh heh...) to love this. Check it out at http://earthbound.joecam.net/

I think there were a few news bits I wanted to touch on...OH YES! Lionhead studios was acquired by Microsoft. Though this is excellent news for Lionhead, this means that these games will only appear on Xbox 360 and PC, must like Rare games. I admit I haven't seriously played a game by Peter Molyneaux (head of Lionhead) for a while, I greatly enjoyed his work at Bullfrog. That seemed important enough to me to mention. So there you have it.

The weather's beautiful, and so too are shiny things. My good buddy Kasey (Wil Hawk) is back! In celebration, we may eat a wheel of shrimp and down much Wal*Mart tea. This weekend will be great. Hope it goes the same for all of you. Take care, everybody.

1 comment:

RMartinLP said...

i wasn't too pleased about microsoft buying lionhead myself. it would also be nice if rare games were available on other systems but i suppose that's the way life goes.