Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Super Leafage

So, I think I know a thing or two about Japanese mythology. I'm at least aware of some of the creation myths and mythical creatures such as the kappa and kitsune. Today, I read up on the wonderful creature called the tanuki. Before today, I knew it was a dog/raccoon-like being who (according to legend) utilizes leaves to cast spells, shapeshift, and generally be a magical raccoon. AFTER today, I learned that they have enormous testicles.


















Holy crap. Those are huge. I also learned there's an old Japanese schoolyard song that goes a little something like this...

Tan Tan Tanuki no kintama wa
Kaze mo nai no ni
Bura bura bura

Translated, it says "Tanuki's testicles swing back and forth even when there is no wind blowing."

You Japanese...I salute you.

3 comments:

RMartinLP said...

I don't remember Debu Sensai teaching us this little story...

Chris Reeve is a good friend of mine. said...

Ross, I can't believe you don't remember her teaching us that after revealing she was really Tanuki and smashing a desk with her testicles.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!