Thursday, April 06, 2006

Marry me with my money...

Here's that meaningful post I promised. Recently I've been going back through some of my MAME games and playing some good arcade games. Now, among the games I generally play (Capcom's fighting games) there are a few true gems of the arcade world. Not least of which is Sunset Riders.

This amazing game was a product before widespread video game political correctness. It was a time when cowboys mowed down virtual Injuns with extreme prejudice (and glowing bullets). A time when Mexicans fired unlimited pink bursts of grapeshot (which matched their ridiculous sombreros and panchos). I present to you...my personal hero of Sunset Riders: Cormano.














There he is, doing what he does best - swiping booze and uh...being cool. Marvel as he pays the rustler no mind, despite the imminent gunshot.














Ooh, action shot! Don't you hate it when Western outlaws set barrels of oil on fire? Well, Cormano scoffs as he SINGLE-HANDEDLY traverses the rope.














The bosses in this game were something. That's Dark Horse, who is also apparently a firefighter/male stripper. Good thing his horse is covered.














Spearking of the bosses, check out the middle guy. Chief Scalpem. I'm not even making this up...














Yay Cormano! Keep up the good work and keep the Wild West safe! Gotta love a pale Mexican in a pink/bright red getup.

And now, I bring you something amazing from another side-scrolling beat 'em up. This is from Knights of the Round, so you could probably predict the playable characters: Sir Lancelot, King Arthur, and Perceval (maybe you wouldn't have guessed him right off the bat). But what's this? Is it really King Arthur? Or is it - OH MY GOSH!














Perhaps you need a closer look and a side-by-side comparison...








It's Chuck Norris! I KNEW he was the King of the Britons in some way or another. Wow...screenshots are fun. Hold on to your spats gang! I have a feeling more will be coming.

Have a nice remainder of your Thursday, everyone. Tune in...er...click in tomorrow for the First 10 Friday.

No comments: