Friday, March 24, 2006

Fuman's First 10 Friday 3/24 - STOP THE HAPPINESS!

Man, So Happy Together was in the first 10 yet AGAIN! That's three times in the past...4 weeks, I think. So it's kicked out. Well, yet again an interesting lineup. Hope you LOVE IT.

1) Touch Me - The Doors
Simple and repetitive, but I still like it alright. I've liked a few Doors songs here and there, but I've never really gotten into the band.

2) Leaving the Field - Boghall & Bathgate Caledonia Pipe Band
An odd little Scottish ditty. Seems to be some traditional Scottish military song. Not sure how this wound up on the list...but I do enjoy them bagpipes! WOOHOO!

3) Hardware Store - Weird Al Yankovic
I have been eagerly awaiting this song's arrival on the list. This is from Poodle Hat, Al's latest CD (which was good, but not exactly AMAZING). This is an original Al song and is quite possibly one of the greatest things I've ever heard. It's cool enough having different voices chiming in to complete a sentence, but the list partway through the song is awesome. If you've never heard this song, do yourself a favor and listen to it. Utterly amazing.

4) Hooch - Everything
Gah, I don't think this group ever got off the ground. This happens to be packed in with the Music of Scrubs CD. Otherwise, it wouldn't have ever gotten onto the list. I'm not a fan of this song, so it'll probably be going bye-bye on the list. Not the worst song ever, but far from being really liked by me.

5) Before You Accuse Me (Take A Look At Yourself) - Eric Clapton
I believe this was a cover/remake of an older song? (Yes. Research indicates the original was by Bo Diddley.) Pretty alright song, but I didn't get too into it. Perhaps I'll take another listen sometime.

6) You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon
Gotta love this song. The music video also reeks of happy. Can you really go wrong with Chevy Chase and a pennywhistle? I didn't think so! That being said, I'm not really sure what this song is about...something about being lost in life and trying to figure everything out, perhaps? That doesn't really explain the chorus, though...

7) Bell Bottom Blues - Derek and the Dominos
I had never heard this song before, but I think I've realized yet another Clapton great. Sounds like a sort of desperate love song and has a lot of emotion behind it. Good song, I need to listen to it some more.

8) Superman Theme - John Williams
Williams is known for some good sweeping heroic-sounding arrangements, and this piece is no different. This makes me want to go watch Superman: The Movie...

9) The Spirit of Radio - Rush
One of my favorite Rush songs. The lyrics in this song suggest that music on its own is a wonderful and beautiful thing. However, many "artists" are selling out and producing music solely for profit and glory. Very true song and also an incredibly enjoyable one.

10) Alternative Girlfriend - Barenaked Ladies
This was the first time I had ever listened to this song in its entirety. Can't say I completely understand the meaning of this song, but it does have some interesting lyrics. This might merit another listen sometime.

That's it for today. Now I think it's time to hit that old dusty trail...to Shelbyville. Have a good weekend, everybody.

2 comments:

Joey said...

Awesome list. The intro guitar to Spirit of the Radio kicks ass.

RMartinLP said...

What a list you have here. Touch me is a good song as is hardware store. First time I heard that one I was just amazed lol.