Friday, March 03, 2006

New Banner, Same Great List!

Or something. Yeah, I didn't have much of a good title. Oh well. It's that time of the week, again.

1) Mr. Brightside - The Killers
Was this already on the list? Ah well. A good song, one that I really started to listen to last December. The song probably has many interpretations, but I can say for sure that none of them are particularly happy.

2) Style is Coming Back in Style - John Pizzarelli
From Pizzarelli's "Dear Mr. Cole" album. It's a really nice song, a song that really seems out of place today. Listening to this sort of jazz makes me happy, but at the same time, it makes me realize how some of the coolest things from years and years ago are history.

3) Love Roller Coaster - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Gah. I found not one, but TWO tracks I need to delete between #2 and #3 on the list. This remake from the Chili Peppers is pure fun. Wacky and happy, much like the Peppers themselves.

4) The Trees - Rush
One of my favorite Rush songs. I tend to lump this in with Subdivisions for some reason. Maybe because they're both songs that examine society. This seems to be about corporate fat cats milking the money (sunlight) from the average person. Ah well. The end shows that, in death, we're all equal. Or maybe it shows that desiring equality makes us all the same? Who knows?

5) The Psychic - Crash Test Dummies
There have been few (if any) Crash Test Dummies songs on the list thus far. That's too bad, because I love these guys (and girl)! Most people probably don't know much CTD outside of "Mmm mmm mmm mmm" released about 10 years ago. This song, from the same album, contains musings about the notion of a psychic foretelling events. In true Dummies fashion, there's a mix of dark humor and serious observations. A good one, but not my favorite.

6) Ask DNA - Yoko Kanno and Tim Jensen
Those wacky Cowboy Bebop songs! Though there seems to be a serious message here, I'm most impressed with the interesting lyrics.

"What's up (what's up),
Sweet cakes (sweet cakes)?
Who's hip (who's hip),
Anyway (anyway)?"

One of my favorite Cowboy Bebop songs. Oops, can't forget! "When the truth seems so far away, Buddha loves you and Jesus saves!"

7) Jimi Thing - Dave Matthews Band
One of the staple DMB songs. This happened to be the "Under the Table and Dreaming" version. My personal favorite is the Central Park version. I see this as meaning that the narrator needs just one little bit of support (possibly a drug or booze) then he just might make it through his day. Of course, you could replace drugs or booze with any little "Jimi Thing" such as a kind word or loving relationship that keeps you going. Excellent Dave song.

8) Canon in D - Johann Pachelbel
You've all heard it, most likely at a wedding. Beautiful, but it just might put you to sleep.

9) Three Ayres from Gloucester, Mvmt 1 - Hugh Stuart
Also known as "The Jolly Earl of Cholmondele." I believe we first played this in band way back in Middle School. An enjoyable folksy composition (the second movement is my personal fav). This edition of the First 10 is getting boring...

10) Hamduche - Hassan Bohmide and Yoko Kanno
Not the best ending to the list. This is from the Cowboy Bebop movie "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and is certainly not my favorite Bebop song. In fact, this may have just inspired me to weed out some less than stellar tunes from the list. Congratulations, Hamduche! You've been responsible for a musical genocide! Oh, this song...Middle East lyrics, and I have no idea what it's saying. There.

Not the best list we've had...but, like everything, it'll have its ups and downs. Perhaps Monday will be a better list! On a side note, I'm leaving for Spring Break today. I can't promise regular blog updates, but I'm sort of hoping I'll be able to mess around with the blog in my free time. Have a good weekend, everybody.

2 comments:

Joey said...

Mr. Brightside is a good song. Subdivision and the Trees both are awesome, and the Crash Test Dummies are a great band. Good list.

Corey said...

Haha...actually, Nic, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the song title. Great minds think alike, I suppose.