Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Fuman's First 10 Friday

Happy St. Patrick's day. Yes, even to all of you who use it as an excuse to drink. Of course, I don't use it for any reason whatsoever...so...yeah.

This week, we had two anomalies in the 10 list. Numbers 9 and 10, I had to boot and swap out a new track. Those were Sunshine of Your Love by Cream (it was on the list last week) and Baby It's Cold Outside performed by Leon Redbone and Zooey Deschanel (thought I axed the Christmas music). Ready Bill? Let's go.

1) Mmm mmm mmm mmm - Crash Test Dummies
Quite an excellent song by the Dummies, but NOT my favorite. Far from it, in fact. This is from their CD God Shuffled His Feet, which has some interesting and nice songs. However, it's The Ghosts that Haunt Me that sits as my favorite album.

2) Time and Motion - Rush
This was new to me. Seems to be about how life is constantly changing and we shouldn't waste it. Seems to be a common theme in much of their songs. Okay song, but easily forgettable.

3) Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters
My favorite Foo Fighters song, though I've not heard a ton of their stuff. In fact, this may be one of my favorite songs of all time. It sticks in my head, and is a good listen at any time. It just seems so uplifting. Sort of. I suppose.

4) Sleep to Dream Her - Dave Matthews Band
I'm surprised there has been so little DMB on the lists. This is an alright song, from the Every(you know what? Eff italics!)day album. Umm...don't feel like commenting too much on it. No reason. Just don't feel it.

5) 867-5309/Jenny - ??? (originally by Tommy Tutone)
I have no idea where I came across this mp3. I have a thing for 80's songs, so it was probably in one of my manic 80's downloading sprees. This is a cover, by...umm..some punk band. A good cover, this doesn't deviate too much from the original source. A great classic 80's song.

6) Crossroads - Cream
Admittedly, I didn't realize this song was by Cream until recently. In fact, I didn't really know the name of the song. Now, I'm glad I do. This is an excellent song with some VERY happy guitar solos going on. By the way, this song is featured on the PS2 game, Guitar Heroes.

7) Happy Together - Performed by Newfound Glory
Another result of the 80's cover spree. Originally by the Turtles, this is a nice little lovey dovey song. Only this version has a bit of "I'm going to kill you" behind the sweet lyrics. Decent song, good cover.

8) YYZ - Rush
The song that got me into Rush in the first place. This is completely instrumental and shows off just how tight of a band Rush is. Tight as in works well perfectly. Fun Fact: the opening drum and guitar hits are morse code for YYZ - the code for Toronto International Airport, home of Rush.

9) Wild Child - Enya
I love the sound of Enya, but I haven't listened to a lot of Enya songs. A nice nature-feeling song. Songs by Enya really have a tendency to pull you away from reality and into some sort of mythical fantasy world.

10) It's All Been Done - Barenaked Ladies
A somewhat well-known BNL song. I just don't have a lot to say about this except that it's another one of those BNL tunes that mixes a dash of absurd lyrics with some sort of relationship song. It's nice to see that The Price is Right is still on in the 30th century.

Well, that wraps it up for this week's First 10 Friday. V for Vendetta comes out today! I don't know if I'll be seeing it tonight or tomorrow. But you can bet I WILL see it. And then purchase a Guy Fawkes mask. And then roam the streets...MUAHAHAHA!

1 comment:

Joey said...

Awesome list. "Fly" is my favorite Foo Fighters song as well. I'm not sure I'll get my list in today, it may wait until I get back Sunday. But it shall be there, along with my fuckstick of the week, not that anybody would give a damn if it wasn't there, haha.